Sunday, December 31, 2017

Not Really a Year in Review Post.....


As the title says, not much of a Year in Review, because there isn't much to review. . . .

2017 was a quiet year for Battletech. Our new Line developer (Brent Evens) has been working at getting the line back to where it was several years ago, with the timeline rolling forward. But beyond the already announced products for 2018 (the two boxed sets), he is otherwise keeping things close to his vest. Hopefully with the new year, he'll reveal more to us freelancers about what his plans are for Battletech.

My only published Battletech story last year was "End of the Road" in the Legacy Anthology, which was at Gencon. That's my second Battletech Story in Print (Hikagemono was in Battlecorps Anthology Volume VI: Front Lines).


"End of the Road" is a special story for me, because I got to spotlight a part of one of the least written regiments in the Battletech universe --- Stone's Lament. With so little written about them, I was able to take several bits and pieces I had written before and add them into the mix in a canon way.

While neither one are available in print form at the moment, I hope there are plans to make them so. But as to when and how, I don't know.

As for the "special project" I mentioned before --- still under development, but I still have great hope for it to be published.

Now, what does 2018 hold? A lot, if Brent has his way. He has already publicly stated that he wants Battletech to become again a fiction-driven universe, but in what manner or form we don't know yet. He's out of the office until next week, enjoying his Christmas/New Years holiday. Once he is back, we will hopefully know more about what he has planned. As for Randall, he's still involved with Dragonfire, Dragonfire, and Dragonfire. . . .

So, that' it. Not much happening at the moment. A lot of stuff is going on behind the scenes, but not may of us know what that is at the moment. We are as much in the dark as everyone else is. IlClan will be released, but I am not involved, so I don't know when or any other details.

But I am hopeful for 2018. Ideas have been tossed around and we should see some come to fruition in the next twelve months. The writers, line developers, painters, demo agents, and volunteers are looking forward to moving into the new era and taking the universe into uncharted territory.

The next two years should be interesting ones --- 2018 will bring Battletech out of it's years-long slumber and 2019 is the 35th anniversary of the game. Has it really been that long since I picked up the second edition Battletech box from a Hobby Store in Laurel, MD --- 30+ years?

So, that's what's going on --- not much of anything for 2017. 2018, on the other hand, looks to be a big year for the game and the universe and hopefully, we can carry that momentum into 2019 and do the 35th anniversary of the game right. I'm looking forward to where the universe goes and hope to be part of the team that helps create it.

And I will leave you with this holiday toast:

To all those present, I give you a Toast!

May the coming year be full of joy and light,
May friendships and romance survive more then a night.
May you find strength, peace and health this coming year,
May no darkness, hate and sorrow fill your soul with tears.
May life grant you everything it can,
May you find the grace to help your fellow man.
With this toast I do say,
May this year be nothing but brighter days!

Toast!

Happy New Year and on to 2018!

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment