Monday, March 6, 2023

Kickstarter Characters' Names in the Elements of Treason: Duty


As part of the Kickstarter from a couple of years ago, Backers had the option of  having a canon character in the Battletech Universe. I did use a number of the characters for both Elements of Treason novels that have been published. Unfortunately, the list didn't make it into the either book, and I am here to rectify that and I hope to have a full list in the third Elements of Treason novel.

Now, I tried to match the character with as close a role as I could get. I tried to take advantage of the backer's wishes as much as possible, and I hope those of the backers who I chose the name for are satisfied with my efforts. I tried to make each character more than just a name check -- every characters I used from the list has at least one speaking part and a couple have supporting roles.

Today, it's characters from Elements of Treason: Duty. I went heavy with this one, clearing as many names as I could. I also wanted to spend a few words talking about each one, and what decisions I made.

First one is Karen "Kampfhund" Zimmerli. The original role the backer wanted was as Lyran Intelligence Corps, Espionage-Loki. I couldn't find a role for her as a Loki agent, but I did have a spot of the commander of an Arcturan Guards Special Forces team leader. She fit almost perfectly and has a decent run as a supporting character. I do have to apologize for spelling "Kampfhund" as "Kampfhound" That one is completely my fault.

Next up is Blue Ryne. The backer wanted the character to be a sniper, and I found a place for him exactly as that. To whoever submitted the name, I hope your son was surprised.

Ingrid Jilani was supposed to be a noble in military intelligence. Instead, I made her Chief of Staff for the Twenty-Sixth Arcturan Guards. She also deals with intelligence, and she has a few scenes.

Killien Dunard has a role as part of the Battle of Pandora. He's only in one chapter, but he has a few lines.

Torrian Dann and Sven Wichert had a larger role in early drafts of the novel, but word count forced me to cut the chapter. Though I do have enough to construct a story around the chapter for a future Shrapnel issue.

I hope those of you who have a character in Elements of Treason: Duty enjoy their appearance in the novel. I tried to get them as much screen time as possible, and some were in position to become major supporting characters.

Enjoy!

Craig






No comments:

Post a Comment