Wednesday, January 18, 2023

The rise of the SuburbanMech

Things are moving along as well as can be expected on the writing side of the Battletech Universe. I am waiting on feedback on a couple of projects and working on others. but I thought I would take a blog post on a 'Mech design I am very proud of -- the UM-R90 SurburbanMech.

As I described it in the article in Shrapnel #4, The SurburbanMech is an overcaffinated UrbanMech. It's faster than the original, can jump farther, and switches to an all-energy readout. By replacing the autocannon with a PPC, enough weight was freed up to install a larger engine and an extra jump jet. There are not enough heat sinks for an Alpha Strike, but with a some effort, it can do the job.

The SurburbanMech is an old design, one that has been around for over two decades. One day, I was looking at the design and something clicked. So, I did the redesign and used it in a couple of battles. At the time, Battletechnology was being published, so my friend Rob Madson and I decided to start submitting things to the magazine. The SurbarbanMech was the first thing we submitted and the first thing we had published in Battlechnology #16 -- my first Battletech writing credit.

For a couple of decades, the design was nothing more than a side note in the Battletech Universe. When the magazine decanonized, the SurburbanMech was in limbo. It wasn't until other Battletechnology designs started showing up in canon products, I brushed off the design, wrote a new entry for the 'Mech and submitted it. The rest is history.

Both the industries mentioned in both the TRO articles -- Hammerstorm Electronics Corporation (HEC) was my company, while Phoenix Heavy Industries (PHI) was Rob's company. The two appeared in the entry for the Rattlesnake in Battletechology #21. And while Rob is no longer with us, I had to keep his touch on the design as a tribute to his memory. 

I'm proud of the SurburbanMech being canon again. When I heard that the 'Mech was now part of the Battletech computer game, I couldn't help but smile. It's a nice upgrade to the UrbanMech. Death From Above Wargaming recently did an Battlytics of the SurburbanMech on their YouTube channel (Located here: UrbanMech Shootout PART 3 - UM-R90: Battlytics | Classic BattleTech Mech Review | Clan Invasion), along with the original UM-R60 and the UM-R60L UrbanMechs in other videos. Watch all three and see how the SurburbanMech stacks up with the others.

Oh, and if anyone wants to run the UM-R100, go ahead. I have never run it before in battle and I'm curious to see how it stacks up on the battlefield.

That's it for today. See you later!

Craig




 

No comments:

Post a Comment